Even without a degree or a teaching certificate, most dancers and/or teachers raised in the professional schools of the 70s, 80s, and 90s have the following attributes going for them:
- a vast understanding of human kinetics
- knowledge of dance history and it’s relevance to American culture
- a working understanding of a dancers nutritional and lifestyle needs
- an intimate grasp of employment processes and prospects
- the ability to re stage many 20th centuries’ finest works
- a working understanding of many current American and European choreographers
This knowledge comes from years and years of studying, observing, participating in, and advocating for an art form such as dance. We may be without unions, oversight, or political clout, but many of us have our integrity still intact!