The following is how to protect, maintain, and clean your Marley floors. It was distilled from studio owners and flooring websites.
Protecting the Floor
- Minimize street dirt. Dance shoes only- no street shoes or socks
- No food or drink in the studio
- Place nothing with sharp edges on the surface
- Avoid wheeling, painting, carpentry, etc. on the surface
- Use the space for dance only
Maintaining Your Floor
The combination of dust, dirt, body grease, hair products, and lotions all contribute to a situation that could be potentially dangerous for dancers (and therefore a studio owner) without the proper care of their linoleum surfaces. Maintenance is a daily procedure. Daily maintenance will extend the useful life of the flooring. Safety is the motivating factor here.
- The floor should be swept (or vacuumed) and mopped at least 3 times a week. Do not use any cleaner with ammonia or wax in its formula, as they will leave a slippery residue on the surface of your floor. Prior to the mopping, the floor should be swept clean with a soft push broom. Do not sweep or dust mop floor with oil treated mops or brooms!!!
- For general maintenance, a neutral PH cleaner will be adequate. Try using white distilled vinegar and water with sponge mop, avoiding the tape. Use 1 cup of vinegar for every gallon of water. Full-strength vinegar can be used directly on tough stains. Let it soak for 10-15 minutes before wiping up. If you need a bit of abrasive make a paste of baking soda and vinegar and scrub with a brush or sponge, then rinse with water. Have a dedicated mop and pail for marley cleaning. Don’t let your cleaning equipment be used for any other purposes. You don’t want to pick up residue from other surfaces and products that can get transferred to your marley. Otherwise:
- STRONG CLEANERS (9 – 13 pH): requires rinsing
- 1) ECOLAB Mariko (13 pH)
ECOLAB Citrusolv ( 10.3 pH)
Customer Service USA: 800-352-5326
Technical Hot-Line USA: 800-451-7191
- 2) Buro-Net (12.5pH) by Sani-Marc
Customer Service: 819-758-1541
Distributed by: Warthan Associates, Inc.
Hopewell, VA 23806
- MILD CLEANERS (7Ph): requires rinsing
- Johnson SC Stride Citrus
Customer Service USA: 800-558-2332
Technical Hot-Line: 800-451-7191